wedding wednesday: engagement photos

Well, I thought I would give Wedding Wednesdays a go.. we may not have a date yet, but hopefully this will get my creative flow going and get some ideas.

This week’s topic: engagement photos. Right now, I’m not sure if I want to take engagement photos. Mainly because, we were VERY fortunate to have a photographer catch the proposal, and even take some pictures together of us after [can see more here]. So I’m just not sure if its necessary or even worth it to take more.

On the other hand, I know it would be so great to capture every moment of this special time and to have to show to our family. I did some searching on Pinterest and found pictures that give me some inspiration:

image via

image via

image via

image via

image via

image via

If we had the opportunity to go back to Manhattan to take our engagement photos, that would be a game changer. How amazing are these pictures?

image via

image via

image via

image via

image via

Any brides or brides-to-be out there didn’t take engagement photos and majorly regret that decision?

Did you get them taken and feel like they weren’t a necessity?

Comment below and let me know your thoughts!

Linking up with Kristyn!

11 Comments

1. October 23, 2013 / 2:03 pm

Do you have a wedding photographer yet? Ours (and many that I know of) offered a complimentary engagement session with our package. If you can do it for free, why not! We ended up using our pictures for our Save the Dates and even if you don't do anything with them, you'll never regret having some gorgeous professional pictures of the two of you!

• October 24, 2013 / 6:37 pm

No photographer yet… we're really behind on all of this. I have millions of ideas in my head (and pinterest), but still working out the details! I'm thinking now I'm leaning toward the pictures… at least then we wouldn't regret them!

2. October 23, 2013 / 2:21 pm

So, my fiance didn't want engagement pictures but I did. I mean, when are we going to get quality pictures of the 2 of us in casual clothes? But the photographer that we chose is pretty much a la carte, so we would have had to pay him extra to take engagement pictures. I have a friend who did them for us for free because she was working on building her portfolio (she does have a photography business), so maybe find someone just starting out to take them for you? Or have your photog do them if they are included. It was important to me because I knew that we probably wouldn't get that many other opportunities to take pictures like that.

I also have a friend (same one that did our engagement pictures) and she regrets that she didn't get them done. Do you have a photographer yet? Look into their packages that they offer and see if its part of their package. Most of them are. You can also probably tell your photog how lovey-dovey you want to get. We didn't do any kissing pictures for ours just because we didn't want them. And that is ok!

Thanks so much for linking up!

• October 24, 2013 / 6:49 pm

We haven't looked at photographers yet so at least now we know to look for someone that does include engagement photos! But you make a good point, when else would we have these pictures done? And plus, it gives you a reason to buy new outfits right?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

3. October 23, 2013 / 2:31 pm

Those photos are beautiful!

We just took ours this weekend and it was a blast! I highly recommend it! Most photographers offer them for free in their packages. It's a good way to get used to being directed around for the wedding. Also, we're not using our photos for Save the Dates but they're just a good excuse to have professional photos of the two of us. We have some awesome ones from the proposal, but I love our engagement photos because it's a great way to remember this time in our lives. Who knows? Maybe we will use them for Christmas cards or display them somehow at the reception.

Thanks for linking up! Can't wait to read more!

4. October 23, 2013 / 2:33 pm

I understand you completely. My sisters and husband conspired to have pictures taken during the proposal which I cherish so much. We only had 7 months between engagement and wedding so we didn't waste time with paying someone to take engagement photos. My sister likes to take photos and is good at taking them, so we just had her follow us around DC during cherry blossom time and snap a few. It was fun, easy we got some great shots and didn't have to pay anything for them. We figured why pay for something more when we are going to have wedding pictures in just 6 months…..

If it's in your budget and you want em, do em. but don't just do them because you THINK you need them. You'll find 20348038240 wedding pictures you love more than your engagement pictures trust me 😉

Stopping by from the linkup

5. October 23, 2013 / 3:10 pm

We had our engagement captured as well but, it was so nice to have engagement pictures. I am glad we did because before then we didn't have any professional pictures of us together at all. If you have professional pictures from your engagement & you're satisfied with them, save your money & put it towards something else. After your wedding you'll want to hang your wedding pictures mainly. Maybe some of your engagement but, it will mostly be wedding! At least that's how it is for me!

6. October 23, 2013 / 10:10 pm

The nice thing about the engagement photos is that you'll have great pictures of just you two. To me, its less about pictures of you, him and the ring, and more about capturing the essence of how in love you two are. You'll absolutely love your wedding pictures once they come in, but I think you'll appreciate pictures of you two dressed in normal clothes longer than you will want a big picture of you in your dress hanging on the wall. We didn't do engagement pictures, but I wish we had! I'd like to have couples portraits done sometime soon-ish.

• October 24, 2013 / 7:06 pm

That's very true about having pictures of us in everyday clothes rather than just a wedding gown and tux. And yeah it would be great just to capture us in the moment right now before the wedding!

Thank you so much for your feedback!

7. October 24, 2013 / 7:57 pm

We took them because we wanted to get more acquainted with the photographers and "practice" shooting. We're glad we did. Some of them came out a little silly but there are about a dozen that we love. Our photographer charged a small fee for the shoot, so that was another reason we did it. We might use one of the pictures for our Christmas cards 🙂 I think if you do, you won't regret it 🙂

8. October 25, 2013 / 2:31 am

We did not get them taken. Although that's really because my husband didn't want them. I thought they would have been a lot of fun, and even came out with cute idea. But since it didn't happen, I guess I'll just have to convince him of a family photo shoot once we finally have babies! Ha!